Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Anal Cancer

Question: A lot of blood in the toilet after BM...

BrentD22 - Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:08 pm

I've had a lot of blood in the toilet after a bowel movement. Some times my movements are accompanied with pain, but not always. There is so much blood the water is red and afterwards. When wiping there is often blood being wiped after the feces is gone. At times I have pain in my bowels before moving them. I know I am not constipated because I go a lot. What could the cause be?
I tried to make an appointment with my PCP, but the office she works out of does not work very well. I called to make an appointment was told a nurse would call me back. No one called for some time, but when I got home there was a message from someone at her office telling me I have to make an appointment with my PCP. I am confused isn't that why I called origanlly? That place sucks. Southborough Medical Group in Massachusetts if you wish to know.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:19 am

User avatar Hi BrentD22,
When I hear a complaint of bright red blood with bowel movements my first thought is hemorrhoids. However, any bleeding with bowel movements, change in bowel habits etc. warrants an evaluation and diagnostic studies. Now, call your physicians office back. When you reach the receptionist and he/she says "the doctor or nurse will call you back", you reply no, I will wait on hold until one of them is available to come to the telephone. This should insure that you get the direction you need. An appointment as well as any arrangements for diagnostic procedures can be made at that time.