Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Forum Name: Bladder Cancer

Question: Need to urinate a lot

Avarus - Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:13 pm

For the past week or so I have had to urinate a lot like once every 1-1 1/2 hours. Sometimes there will be a lot depending on how much I have drank and sometimes little if I haven't drank much of anything. I don't have any pain and I had my urine dipped as well as looked at by my GP and he said that it was crystal clear and fine.

He said it's probably just stress or anxiety and that I shouldn't worry about it and it will go away eventually. It doesn't seem to be getting worse and sometimes if I get distracted I find I can go 2-3 hours without having to urinate. I also asked if my prozac could be causing it because I had heard that it was one of the side effects but he said no.

Also I am able to sleep 5-7 hours without having to get up and go to the bathroom. (If that is at all relavent)
 indigo36d - Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:43 pm

I wouldn't be concerned that what you are dealing with is neessariiy a malignancy, It appears under Bladder Cancer in the forum. If the symptoms persist and you are concerned ask your primary care provider to refer you to a urologist for further evaluation.

N Koch RN OCN
 mwaura - Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:37 pm

Hello well youre condition is called urinary frequency it may signal the onset off type 2 diabetes meleitus which is characterised by increased amount off blood glucose this blood glucose trigers a mechanism caled osmotic diuresis which causes increased urination . a test of glucose in urine is useles at this point as renal threshhold for glucose hasnt been surpased so only a blood glucose test would be sensitive .also irritation off the baldder mucosa irritation of the blader mucosa may be due to multiple factors the most common is infection of the urinary tract which may may not nessecarily be transmited from person to person by sexual intercoourse but could be due to urinary stasis in the bladder well i would recomend that you start by taking a simple urine test for culture the physician should advise you on taking an appropriate sample called mid stream urine and test it for the ammount off the bacteria present .in women a condition caled cystoceale occurs mainly after childbirth and would cause this. i would also recomend that you relax things are definately going to be okay cheers . i recomend the following tests.
random blood glucose.
abdominal pelvic ultrasound.\ cystourethrograpy
mid stream urine fro culture and sensitivity