Medical Specialty >> Oncology

Doctors Lounge - Oncology Answers

Back to Oncology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/21/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cancer Topics

Question: Pea sized lump in middle of leg

 refriedpatti - Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:54 pm

Hi i am 23 years old. While i was applying loation i found a pea sized lump in the frount middle part of my leg between my knee and hip. Cancer runs in my family and i was just woundering if this could be cancer or am i worred for nothing. I really don't want to go to the dr unless i think it could be something bad. it does not really hurt unless i mess with it. it has not gotten any bigger that i know of. It apperars to a dark color because i can see where it is through the skin. please let me know what you think. thank you very much. refriedpatti
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:28 pm

User avatar Hello refriedpatti,

As you can imagine, the only way to be sure what kind of lump you have is to have it in front of you and examine it properly.

Nonetheless, I can tell you most skin or subcutaneous (fatty tissue under the skin) lumps are benign. Most common subcutaneous tumors are lipomas and epidermoid or sebaceous cyst.

Lipomas are benign fatty tumors, probably the most common ones in the entire body, and are more frequent in women.

A sebaseous cyst is a closed sac found just under the skin containing grayish-white, pasty or cheesy-looking skin secretions; most often arise from swollen hair follicles, but also skin trauma can induce a cyst to form.

Benign tumors are usually slow growing, painless, and freely movable lumps beneath the skin.

You have to see your doctor if the lump gets hard, is fixed, grows fast or hurts.

Dr Torax.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us